Monday, March 27, 2006

God Doesn't Always Use Who We Think He Will

This week I attended the UGA Non-Profit and Government Career Fair. I was one of about 10 Christian organizations that were represented at the fair, the rest were secular or some form of government agency. From the very beginning I had a bad attitude about attending this conference. I wondered why we would want to be representatives at something like this and felt like because it wasn't a Christian school that there wouldn't be anybody interested in a mission's ministry and that it was a waste of time. You see, most of the conferences that I have attended have been at Christian schools and had a mission’s emphasis of some kind. Most of the students that come to the booth, are either interested in missions or at least see the importance of it. Being at UGA I figured that I might talk to a few people and that one or two might be interested in what we do, but would not be serious about any positions that we have to offer, boy was I wrong.

As far as conferences go this was a very successful one. I talked to countless numbers of people that were very interested to hear about what Cafe 1040 is and what it is that we do. The Christian students that I talked to were very excited to see the amount of Christian organizations represented and said that it was very encouraging to see us there. Six girls that I spoke with filled out our "Staff" cards, which are cards that we have them fill out if they are interested in a potential staff position with Cafe 1040. I even had some of the students show interest in taking part of the actual program once they had graduated. None of them filled out any cards, so I guess that it is up to God whether or not they follow through or not.

So, what I thought was going to be a waste of time proved to be a very good use of time. And, once I again I am reminded that God doesn't always do things the way that I would do them or use who I think He will use to accomplish His will.

No comments: