Monday, March 27, 2006

Just Call Me Peter

I mentioned in an earlier post that I attended a career fair at UGA. At the fair I was one of very few Christian organizations represented, very different from the other conferences and fairs that I have been to. All of them were at Christian schools, so I was surrounded by people that were like minded, I was very much salt among salt. At UGA it was very much the opposite, for the first time i was light in the darkness and it was my time to shine. Unfortunately I failed misterably, well at least the first three oppotunities that I was given, which is why I titled this entry "Just Call Me Peter" because Peter, a disciple of Jesus, was given three chances to admit that he was a follower of Christ and all three times he denied it. Just watch the movie if you don't believe me, or I am sure you could read about it somewhere.

Allow me to explain. I actually didn't deny the fact that I was a Christian, it wasn't like someone came up to me and asked if I was a Christian and I said no, but given the chance to say that Cafe 1040 is a Christian ministry, I left that part out, therefore I was lying by omission.

A lie by omission as defined by www.choice101.com/19-lies.html#LiesOfOmission :
A lie of omission is a method of deception and duplicity that uses the technique of simply remaining silent when speaking the truth would significantly alter the other person's capacity to make an informed decision.

After I had done this I was reminded in scripture, ""But whoever denies me before men, I will also deny him before My Father who is in Heaven." Matthew 10:33 I immediately took some time to repent, asking God to forgive me for what I had done. I called my boss and asked him if he would pray with me also, for courage and strength to not backdown when the question came again. After I took time to pray and ask for forgiveness, God blessed me. I had so many opportunities to share about what we do and not once did I leave out that we were a Christian ministry.

Being open and straightforward afforded me the opportunity to have a great conversation with a Hindu girl. She had all kinds of questions and ideas of her own about Christianity. She had already been to a few of the other Christian booths that were represented and had a lot of resentment towards them for the way they treated her. She said that one of them took one look at her and said "We only hire Christians," and didn't say anything else to her. She wondered why all Christians act like they are better than everybody else and act like we belong to a special group and if you are not a part of that group than you are nothing.

Why does she feel that way? What can we, as Christians, do to change the way that she and a lot of other people feel about Christians and Chrstianity?

No comments: